Air Date: July 18 2021
On this Reawakening Beauty podcast episode I interviewed a special guest, Andrea Vlahovich, an environmentally conscious entrepreneur who has created a natural retinol alternative oil and brand called Imaya. She speaks about her clean beauty insights and sustainable farming practices that helped her to utilize the regenerative power of a fruit you’ll definitely want to know about!
- Can you introduce yourself?
- How did you start your brand?
- Can you tell me why sustainability is so important to you?
- What makes your product line unique?
- Why are you so passionate about natural beauty?
- Can you tell us more about your product? Who is it for and what does it do?
- Can you combine retinol alternatives?
- What’s the best way to introduce your product?
- Your product has naturally-occurring SPF. How is that possible?
- Can you tell us a little bit about the initiatives you are doing?
- Do you have any bit of inspiration for our listeners today?
- What motivates you through the various challenges of this industry?
- Where can our listeners find you?
- Andrea is an environmental entrepreneur who started her own natural skincare brand and consults for the organic food industry.
- Her brand sells an aguaje fruit, natural, retinol-alternative face oil. Aguaje fruit is grown in Peru and contains beta carotene. It has 20 times more beta carotene than carrots.
- Her oil not only has beta carotene, but it also contains Vitamin C and E and has a fatty acid profile that does wonders for all kinds of skin types.
- Aguaje fruit is typically harvested by cutting down the entire tree in order to get to the fruit. This beauty brand works with farmers in Peru that developed the technology to reach and harvest the fruit without hurting trees.
- These agro-ecologists are from Acate Amazon, a non-profit organization doing sustainable wild harvesting. They are also reforesting the rainforest with the help of ancient agricultural practices. Andrea uses her brand platform to support them.
- The beauty industry has a history of mixing unhealthy products into our skincare. That’s why Andrea wanted to make a product that was available to those interested in a healthy, holistic living.
- Plant oils naturally have a bit of SPF protection, but Andrea recommends using sunscreen too.
- As an entrepreneur, keep positive and persevere. There will be challenges. Connect with people within your industry, so they can inspire you through the tough times.
SHAWNA PATRUNO (HOST OF REAWAKENING BEAUTY)
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shawna.patruno/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reawakeningbeauty/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shawnapatruno/
FREE RESOURCES AND MORE INTERVIEWS (YOUTUBE)
PUBLISHED WORK ON CONFIDENCE AND SKIN CARE TIPS
- Published Articles on Confidence: https://issuu.com/futurefemalemag/docs/ffm_fallwinterissue_final2/s/11329571
- Skin Care Tips: https://issuu.com/futurefemalemag/docs/ffm_summerspringissue_finalj2019_on/16?ff=
ANDREA VLAHOVICH (GUEST ON REAWAKENING BEAUTY)
In 2020, after turning 30 years old and having more time during the COVID-19 pandemic, Andrea decided to marry her passion for skincare with sustainability and formed Imaya Beauty. Andrea runs the business on her own out of the Junction Triangle neighbourhood of Toronto.
Andrea studied at the University of Ottawa, City University of Hong Kong, and Queens’ University. She worked in labour relations and as a sourcing consultant for an organic food startup. Her work with Amazonian agro-ecology organizations led to her discovery of the locally known Aguaje fruit, which has beneficial properties for the skin and is critical to the ecological health of the Amazon Rainforest.
Sustainability, transparency and authenticity are her core values and these values are reflected in her brand.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ImayaBeautyco/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/imayabeauty
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/imayabeauty
- Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Imayabeauty
SOCIAL WEBSITE: https://www.imayabeauty.com/pages/our-story